Wednesday 2 October 2013

Berlin marathon

25/09/2013
Wednesday afternoon and pick Lorraine up from work to head for Berlin for a weeks holiday and a wee run. Drive to Newcastle went past with nothing exciting to note, arrived at ferry port to heaven rain.
Waiting patently to board the ferry. 

Do DFDS not know I'm running a marathon as they have gave us a room on deck 9 and parked the motorhome on deck 3 my legs will give up soon. Nice wee cabin for a romantic night. 
Very un eventful crossing with a nice meal in the buffet restaurant then asked if they had wifi and nearly collapsed when they said yes for €10 looks like we will be entertaining ourselves tonight.

26/09/13
Woke up after a decent nights sleep feeling fresh and raring to go, got down to the car deck for the motorhome and must say I was embarressed  to be British and that doesn't happen very often. Two vehicles in front is this van come camper that has a Union Jack paint job and some choice sayings on the back which I will not repeat. This is what embarrassed me it was the fact every time a message was played they drowned it out with speakers on the roof of their van with strange noises then the worse thing when we started moving they just emptied their bowls of cereal all over the deck. Here Is a pic of them driving along the road shouting at everyone and playing music as loud as possible over their roof speakers. If you pull into a site and their next to you I'd move or am I just getting old and grumpy.
Just after leaving the ferry there is a petrol station with diesel at €1.30 only takes card though no cash.
Anyway on our way to Berlin and everything went well with a few stops for lunch and a stretch of our legs. 
Arrived in Berlin just after 6pm and even then the roads around the city where pretty busy, we where planning on staying at http://www.reisemobilstation.com, you can't book its just turn up and hope for the best. When we arrived the office was closed and told by other motorhomer to just park up and pay in the morning. I'm glad we weren't five mins later as I filled the water tank 3 other MHs turned up with only two spaces, where I was parked to fill up meant I was blocking the gate and the lady from the first MH waiting to get in was getting really impatient and came to ask me to move before filling up. Well as I turned to speak to her I forgot I had the hose in my hand and soaked her which she didn't find that funny. 
Anyway we got our space and I would recommend this site to anyone wanting to see the city as its only 3 stops on the underground or an easy 30 min walk. 
Parked next to our German neighbours. 
After getting set up and having a cuppa and our dinner we decided we would just stay local tonight so went for a walk to find a bar for a nice cold beer, can't remember the name of it but there are loads of bars and restaurants close by with loads of takeaway selling all sorts.

27/09/13
Had a decent nights sleep only disturbed by the sound of an ambulance and the MH being to warm. Up and out for a wee walk just after 7 and what a beautiful day it is so shorts and tee shirt for me I think. We have booked a visit to the Reichstag building this morning at 10.20 and then heading of to the marathon Expo to pick up my number. 
Turned up at the reichstag and forgot to bring Lorraine's ID so the security guard said no problem what's your DOB she then decided to have a blonde moment and totally forgot her DOB must be an age thing, anyway we got in and well worth the vist with stunning views of the city.
Reichstag

Dome on top of the reichstag you walk up the ramp you can see through the glass.

View of Berlin with Lorraine in the way

After our visit to the reichstag we took a leisurely walk round to the marathon start and finish area and a walk thought the B/Burg gate. 

Thought we would head for lunch before heading to the Marathon Expo we found this lovely little restaurant/bar and had some lovely soup with sausage in it. 
After lunch it was time to head out and pick up my number, this wasn't to difficult as the UBann is very simple to follow. Spent a nice couple of hours walking round all the running stuff and even had a leg massage from a young German so now feeling totally revitalised and raring to go I might even win this :).
Now back in the city centre and decided we would eat out and try some traditional German food so it was a currywurst and apple strudel for us, don't think Mo Farah could eat this then run a marathon in 2 days time. 

This was washed down by a few cold beers then back to the MH for a lazy night in watching the worst DVD I have ever seen it was that bad I can't remember the name.
28/09/13
Having a lazy day to day with just a little shopping and buying a O2 data sim for €10 mainly so we can chat to Sophie who was staying at granny and grandads, and watching the Inline skater marathon.
So early to bed as big day tomorrow.
29/09/13
Really good nights sleep and up at 6.30 to start preparing for the marathon, after breakfast we both head to the start area and the place is getting busy so we make our plans for meeti g up at the end and where Lorraine will be to take pics as I speed by.
Looking like an athlete and raring to go.
Got to the start line and even though I knew 40.000 people would be running its far busier than I anticipated. They announce the elite athlete will be starting first and panic sets in then I realised I'm not in that group. Anyway we eventually get on the go and I must admit it reminded me of the Xmas sales at Premark with everyone pushing to get in front of you. 
After a KM or two I managed to get into my own pace even though still really busy, the water stations where ten times worse with everyone cutting in front of you to get water. 
At the half way mark I was feeling ok and spot on time wise although I was feeling a slight niggle in my left calf, got the 30k and calf slightly worse and although keeping a good pace I can tell my lack of training is going to catch up with me. At 32km I was still on time for a PB at 34 was really starting to feel it. Then got to around the 36/37 and a massive TV screen with a message from Sophie this perked me up and kept me going for another couple of KMs. By the 40km I was dead on my feet and pain all over by 41 I was wanting to sit down and cry but as I turned the corner to run the last 800m through the Brandenburg and the crowd really was amazing they do say over 1million spectators turn up. Managed to get over the line in 3.55.12   3 mins outside my PB but really pleased as this was done with very little training.
Still looking great, note to self remember Vaseline your nipples save the pain and blood on vest.
  
Hobbled back to the MH for a shower and some food, the lady said we could stay as long as we wanted on the Sunday without paying and would only charge if we stay overnight. Decided to head of to save getting stuck in the traffic the following morning 
Drove for a couple of hours then headed for a stelplatz in Magdeburg, we got lost and asked the security guard at the local lesuire centre for directions he went one better he jumped in his car and got us to follow him who says the Germans aren't helpful. We are glad we stopped her what a lovely stelplatz right by the river for €5. Parked up and hobbled along to nearest restaurant for a lovely meal and a couple of pints and would definitely come back here.
Magdeburg Stelplatz 

30/09/13 
Wke up about 6 ish after a disturbed sleep not due to noise due to my leg and nipples killing me, went for a wee walk then headed off for Amsterdam where we stayed at 
Amsterdam city 

camp, this is ideal for visiting the city as you walk 10mins then get a free ferry to the back of central station 
After a few hours of rest we went to the city at night for our last meal and a few beers even did some window shopping 

1/10/13
Nice and quiet night and lovely morning so off for a walk round the city before heading to the ferry in the afternoon. 
Arrived at. The ferry port in plenty of time and on we go to spend the last night of our wee break.
2/10/13
An un eventful crossing and an early night for us so woke nice and early and went for a walk out on deck and seen 
something I hadn't seen all week yes it's raining.

If you got this far well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment